|Man of Steel (2013), Superman (Henry Cavill)|
See the best, and worst ways, companies are using the upcoming Superman movie, Man of Steel, to sell their products.
Warner Bros. has over 100 global promotional partners and $160 million in collective promotional support for Man of Steel and it's one of the biggest in Hollywood history.
It's not unusual for a blockbuster film to have cross-promotinal marketing, that is targeting customers of one product with a related product. Man of steel's is the best, and worst, I've seen.
"If done well, a promotional partnership with a major summer movie should spotlight a company's products — in most cases, cars, clothes and junk food," Variety senior writer Marc Graser wrote for Investor's Business Daily. "It worked for Aston Martin and James Bond, Ray-Ban and 'Men in Black,' Chevy's Camaro and 'Transformers.'"
The only problem is there is no logical connection between Superman and Triskets, so some companies have to really struggle to make sense.
From burning questoin about Superman's beard to hamburgers and antivirus products here are the most brilliant and stupid products endorsed by Man of Steel.
4. Superman Eats Carl's Jr. HamburgersCarl's Jr. and Hardee's has a Super Bacon Cheeseburger. "We knew ‘Man of Steel’ was going to be the must-see film this summer, so it was the perfect partnership for our must-eat burger this summer, the Super Bacon Cheeseburger,” said Brad Haley, chief marketing officer for Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s. “With melting American cheese and six interlocking strips of bacon – three times the amount found on other bacon burgers – it truly earned the name ‘Super.’ And we were excited to be able to have the Man of Steel himself, Henry Cavill, featured in our ad and to have it directed by the talented Zack Snyder, who directed the film. It will be an epic movie and an epic ad for an epic burger."
It's silly to think of Superman chowing down on a cheesburger, the commercial is hiarious. So it gets a pass.
I think you'd need to be Superman to survive the cardiac arrest from eating this delicious sandwich.
3. The Army National Guard Are Like Superman"National Guard and the MAN OF STEEL™. Two American icons who put on the uniform when duty calls." I can't argue with that slogan.
The National Guard created a website SoldierofSteel.com that has an online game you control with your mobile phone.
2. Kellogg's Cereal Makes You SupermanKellogg's is holding a you Could Win Superman's Powers contest and it's actually pretty cool. You can win FLIGHT (Airline tickets for a year), STRENGTH (Personal trainer for a year), SPEED (2013 Ford Mustang) and VISION (Movie tickets for a year). Who knew Cheez-Its, Keebler cookies and Pop-Tarts could turn you into a superhero?
1. Superman Wears Warby Parker Glasses
This is the best one of all the campaigns. In the film, Clark Kent hides his secret identity as Superman by wearing glasses and you can buy a pair of Clark Kent-style branded sunglasses by Warby Parker.
4. Nokia Cell Phones are Just Like Superman
The cell phone comany is making a Superman edition of the Nokia Lumia 925 and an exclusive Man of Steel app via the Windows Store. It makes the awkward connection between Superman's super-stregth and their phone's "aluminium and polycarbonate frame" and scratch-resistant "Gorilla Glass 2." Because Superman is known for his really strong glasses.
3. Sears is Just Like Superman"Sears and Superman are two iconic brands that embody American culture," said Imran Jooma, executive vice president & president of marketing for Sears said. "As the needs of our members and our customers have changed, Sears has responded with new and better products and services inspired by a spirit of genuine quality and honest values."
Yeah...Ok. That's not forced at all. Superman is just like a department store.
So, their pitch is that if you sign up for their Shop Your Way plan you get access to exclusive stuff like film footage, a free copy of the first chapter of Allstar Superman written by Legendary Grant Morrison and a sweepstakes. At least it let Zack Snyder blow up a Sears store.
2. Superman's Favorite Candy
I can't imagine Superman eats a lot of candy, but maybe Kryptonians have a lower BMI than humans. "We're excited to offer fans the opportunity to discover their inner superheroes with a Man of Steel experience this summer," said Anna Lingeris, spokesperson for the Twizzlers brand. "Twizzlers candy is a great complement to Man of Steel, and both will sweeten summer fun for fans both on- and offline." The Twizzlers Facebok page let's you star in a personalized Man of Steel video.
1. Norton Gives You Antivirus Protection Like SupermanSymantec combines behind-the-scenes clips with awkward connections between Kryptonian speed, strength and flight and virus protection. I've never seen an issue of Superman versus the Sasser Worm.
Superpowers of Man of Steel: Strength
Superpowers of Man of Steel: Flight
Super Powers of the Man of Steel: SPEED
From Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures comes "Man of Steel," starring Henry Cavill in the role of Clark Kent /Superman, under the direction of Zack Snyder . A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.
The film also stars four-time Oscar® nominee Amy Adams , Oscar® nominee Michael Shannon , Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner , Oscar® nominee Diane Lane , Oscar® nominee Laurence Fishburne , Antje Traue , Ayelet Zurer , Christopher Meloni , and Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe .
"Man of Steel" is produced by Charles Roven , Christopher Nolan , Emma Thomas and Deborah Snyder . The screenplay was written by David S. Goyer from a story by Goyer & Nolan, based upon Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster and published by DC Entertainment. Thomas Tull , Lloyd Phillips and Jon Peters serve as executive producers.
Warner Bros. Pictures presents, in association with Legendary Pictures, a Syncopy Production, a Zack Snyder Film, "Man of Steel." The film will be released in 3D and 2D in select theaters and IMAX® on June 14, 2013. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company. This film has been rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence, action and destruction, and for some language. www.manofsteel.com
Update: Removed one entry
What do you think of the promotional campaign?
Please use the buttons below to tell your friends about this post. Click on the links to follow us for free by Email, RSS and follow us on Twitter @thegeektwins