One of the most common responses to "Geek Bits" is: "Wow. There sure are a lot of links!" So, I assume most people don't actually read or follow them. This week I've nailed it to it's final format.
I run into hundreds of great blog entries, but I'm only listing the ten best links from now on. The rest will be shared from our twitter feed.
Trivia Question (Answer at the end of the post)
What 1998 comedy-drama inspired one man to climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty?
Last week's bonus winner: Alex J. Cavanaugh
A communications disruption can mean only one thing: Invasion!" - Sio Bibble
1. The Goonies is one of my all time favorite films, which is why IndieWire's list Five Things You Might Not Know About The Goonies is so fascinating. "Chunk" came up with the idea for the film? Wow.
What did you learn about the Goonies?
2. Stan Lee has had a lot of time to think about the Hulk movies and Total Film says the promlem was size. I think it was more about Ang Lee's stupid art house style, but what do I know.
They hadn’t quite found the right formula with the Hulk but he’s very good in Avengers Assemble. They made him too big in the first two movies – I don’t think he had to be as big as King Kong. I think they’re gonna be OK with the Hulk from now on, though. Mark Ruffalo nailed it.Do you think Stan's right?
3. Born For Geekdon has a thought-proving piece on Why Battlestar Galactica's Kara "Starbuck" Thrace Still Matters.
What does BSG's Starbuck mean to you?
Which are you?
5. Prometheus reviews range from "great" to "lame."
- The Film Doctor: "The trick . . . is not minding that it hurts": Prometheus links
- Movie Review: Prometheus (2012)
- Film Review: PROMETHEUS (2012): Ridley Scott, Noomi Rapace | Film-Book.com
- Movie Reviews – Prometheus, Madagascar III, John Carter – and Ninja News!
7. Scouring Monk has a History of Comic Book Movies from 1951 to present he manages to give short commentary on each film! A great retrospective.
8. I used to read the parody magazine Cracked religiously as a kid. So, when My Star Trek Scrapbook posted scans of the 1987 Cracked Star Trek IV: The Voyage home Spoof. Jokes like "Klingfree" instead of Klingon, and naming Uhura "Uhoohah" with a massive cleavage help explain why the magazine is a distant second to MAD magazine. There are some funny jokes though.
A Pug Singing The Batman Theme Song
Any dog/batman puns you can think of?
10. There are plenty of women heroes in the DC universe and Comic Book Resources has a list of Women of the DCU Who Deserve Their Own Films. While their wrong on the origin of "The Question" (it didn't start as a woman) I can't argue with Katerina Graham as Vixen.
Here are are a bunch of random links I felt like sharing:
- 15 sci-fi movies so intense they literally made people sick | Blastr
- Tim Burton, Zack Snyder and more tell why The Dark Knight mattered | Blastr
- Fan club presidents build awesomest Star Wars home theater ever | Blastr
- Stephen Colbert Joins Live-Action Peabody & Sherman
- All Your 'Awake' Finale Questions Answered!
- Do You Have Dr Who Treasures In Your Attic?
- Why Taylor Kitsch doesn't think John Carter was a failure
- What The H*** Happened To Tim Burton?
- This Alien versus Predator wedding cake is disturbingly adorable
- The 10 Geekiest Google Easter Eggs
- 'Battleship' Director Peter Berg Knows What Went Wrong
People with the "The Truman Show Delusion," named after 1998 film, believe that their lives are staged plays or reality television shows. There are 40 recorded instances of people suffering from the Truman Show Delusion in the U.S., the U.K. and elsewhere.
Source: The Truman Show delusion
Bonus Trivia Question:Who were the stars of The Truman Show?
What do you think of this week's links?