|Doctor Who (2010) - The Doctor (Matt Smith)|
A while back we reviewed the "Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection" by Eagle Moss Collections. This time I'm reviewing the "Doctor Who Figurine Collection" and sharing some facts I learned from the first magazine which comes with a figurine of the Eleventh Doctor from The Pandorica Opens. The magazine itself is beautiful and is very well-written with lots of interesting facts and notes about the making of Doctor Who during the time of the 11th Doctor. The figurine of Matt Smith is nice, but suffers from poor quality control. The paint is misplaced in spots and has a muddled look. It's still cool to hold the Doctor in your hand though. You can get a sneak peek at the magazine and the figure by going to http://dw-figurines.com/usa/magazine.aspx.
1. After the Eleventh Doctor said "bow ties are cool," bow tie sales increased by 94%.
2. Matt Smith never tied the bowtie. It was a pre-tied "dicky bow". Costume designer Ray Holman went into a box of bow ties from a specialty shop and dug out every single burgundy tie he could find.
3. Both Sean Pertwee, the son of Third Doctor actor Jon Pertwee, and X-Men's James McAvoy were both up for the role of the Eleventh Doctor.
4. While filming the famous speech in The Pandorica Opens at Stonehenge they were restricted because it's a World Heritage Site, so they created a huge foam version of Stonehenge at Margam Park near Cardiff.
5. They described filming the Stonehenge scene in Cardiff as "a challenge." "Conditions were diabolical," said director Haynes "The wind was going, Matt couldn't hear himself speak, it was ice cold, the rain was coming down, but with the lights on, it looked fantastic!"
6. The inspiration of the Eleventh Doctor's outfit is based on Albert Einstein, who often wore a tweed suit. Matt Smith was reading a lot about Einstein at the time and wanted to reference it. In fact, there are three suits that Smith wore with slightly different fabric.
7. The elbow pads on the jackets are sewn on to make him look like a college professor. However, in the 2010 special he's missing the elbow patches.
8. Billie Piper and Matt Smith were "companions with benefits." Billie Piper was the companion for the Doctor during the Ninth (Christopher Eccleston) and Tenth Doctor (David Tennant). She left the show and starred in the show "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" about a high class prostitute. Smith appeared in a 2007 episode as one of her clients before becoming the Doctor. The two shared many intimate scenes. But in real life the two were seen holding hands at a party the year before. The night of the Doctor indeed.
9. Matt Smith describes himself as "innately very clumsy," and Steven Moffat described him as a "clumsy baby giraffe." He burned himself when the Sonic Screwdriver exploded in The Eleventh Hour, "split his head open" during a cast party and broke so many props that the crew would take bets on how long it would take him to break it.
10. Matt Smith and Karen Gillian had a running practical joke that he would hide in the cupboard of her trailer and jump out at her. She said, "He must have done it a hundred times and I fell for it on every single occasion."
11. According to Matt Smith, the Eleventh Doctor was "asexual" and would prefer a game of chess over sex.
You can find out more about the "Doctor Who Figurine Collection" at dw-figurines.com. They say, "all the figurines and the content of each magazine is fully approved by the BBC, the makers of Doctor Who. Each figurine has been carefully prepared with reference to the actual characters in the show, and exclusive reference material from the archives." Collect all the Daleks and you get a free stand!
Did you learn anything new about the Eleventh Doctor? Who's your favorite Doctor Who actor past or present?
- 50 Best Easter Eggs in the DOCTOR WHO 50th Anniversary Special
- Watch the Ultimate DOCTOR WHO Sonic Screwdriver Supercut Video by The Geek Twins
- When the Fifth Doctor Met the Eleventh Doctor: "Time Crash"