This week, Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) opens in theaters and we now present a short profile on star Zoë Saldaña.
- Birth Name: Zoe Yadira Saldaña Nazario
- Birthdate: June 19, 1978.
- Siblings: Has two sisters: younger sister Cisely (a director\producer) and older sister Mariel (a nurse).
- Geekiest Roles: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) as Anamari, Star Trek (2009) as Uhura and Avatar (2009) as Neytiri.
- Birthplace: New Jersey, USA
- Parents: Dominican father, Aridio Saldana, and a Puerto Rican mother, Asalia Nazario.
- When her father died in a tragic car accident when she was 9, her mother moved the family to the Dominican Republic to be with their Grandparents.
- Saldana discovered her love of dance and enrolled in the ECOS Espacio de Danza Acadey studying ballet, jazz, and modern Latin dance.
- Her family moved back to the US after her sophomore year in High School.
- First acting role was a guest spot on a 1999 Law and Order episode called "Refuge."
- Her big break came in the teen dance film Center Stage (2000) as Eva Rodriguez.
- She said on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" that she is often mistaken for British actress Thandie Newton. Even her own mother gets confused when looking at pictures of them. She's sick of it.
- Zoe Saldaña has three tattoos: on her foot, ribs, and lower abdomen. Unfortunately, as is common with tattoos in foreign languages, they have many misspellings.
- She is a supporter of FINCA International, a micro-finance organization that provides small loans to help 8,000 Haitian women.
- Ranked #42 on the Maxim magazine "Hot 100 Women of 2008" list.
- She loves her hair and skin saying “In Latino culture, hair carries a lot of history, a lot of weight, and a lot of energy."
- Her favorite musical artists are Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, and Billie Holiday.
|Zoë Saldaña smiling|
|Zoë Saldaña at the premiere of Avatar|
What do you think of Zoe Saldana?
Please use the buttons below to tell your friends about this post. Click on the links to follow us for free by Email, RSS and follow us on Twitter @thegeektwins