Above Image: The Big Bang Theory (2007) Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) Raj Koothrappali (Kunal Nayyar)
If you've watched The Big Bang Theory enough, then you know about the hand game "
Wikipedia says, "Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock is a five-gesture expansion of the classic selection method game rock-paper-scissors. It operates on the same basic principle, but includes two additional weapons: the lizard (formed by the hand as a sock-puppet-like mouth) and Spock (formed by the Star Trek Vulcan salute). This reduces the chances of a round ending in a tie. The game was invented by Sam Kass with Karen Bryla."
All hail Sam Kass!
The advantage of the card game is it eliminates the challenge of learning the hand motions and rules.
- 2 players
- 5 pages Avery 8371 Business Card stock
- 3 pages Standard computer paper
- 1 page Standard card stock
- Template of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock cards
- Template of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock card box
- Template of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock scorecards
Step 1: Download the Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock game cards
Step 2: Print the cards making sure you use the "Actual Size" setting in Acrobat. You can use regular computer paper, but Avery 8371 business card stock (or any standard size card stock) is recommended. Print five copies duplexed (front-to-back). If you want to make the cards more durable, then laminate them or just cover them with clear tape.
Step 3: Print the card box with standard card stock or paper
Step 4. Print the scorecards from standard paper.
Step 5: Fold and glue (or tape) the card box.
The rules of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock are:
- Scissors cuts Paper
- Paper covers Rock
- Rock crushes Lizard
- Lizard poisons Spock
- Spock smashes (or melts) Scissors
- Scissors decapitates Lizard
- Lizard eats Paper
- Paper disproves Spock
- Spock vaporizes Rock
- Rock crushes Scissors
- Shuffle the deck of cards.
- Each player is dealt five cards (or eight for some games) without showing the other.
- Players then assess the relative strength of their hands.
- Each player says, "Rock. Scissors. Paper. Lizard. Spock!" and lays a card on the table.
- The player who's hand beats the other wins. The winning player takes the cards on the table.
- In the event of a tie, the players take the cards back into their hand and play again.
- The scorecard is marked and game continues until all cards are played and the scores are counted.
- The best of five or eight wins.
- Each player is given one of each card type.
- Each player selects a card from their hand.
- The two players say, "Rock. Scissors. Paper. Lizard. Spock!" and lays the card on the table.
- In the event of a tie, the players take the cards back into their hand.
- The first player to run out of cards loses the game.
Here's the scene from The Big Bang Theory if you've never seen it. It's hilarious. .
If you're looking for official Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock merchandise head to Kass' store.
About The Big Bang Theory: Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists, the kind of "beautiful minds" that understand how the universe works. But none of that genius helps them interact with people, especially women. All this begins to change when a free-spirited beauty named Penny moves in next door. Sheldon, Leonard's roommate, is quite content spending his nights playing Klingon Boggle with their socially dysfunctional friends, fellow CalTech scientists Wolowitz and Koothrappali. However, Leonard sees in Penny a whole new universe of possibilities... including love
What do you think of the game? Have you come up with another way to play? What's your favorite card game?
[Image Source: WeHeartIt.com]
Please use the buttons below to tell your friends about this post. Click on the links to follow us for free by Email, RSS and follow us on Twitter @thegeektwins