On February 11, 2012 we lost a great performer in Whitney Houston. We don't know how she died, but we know how she lived. She had two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, and 22 American Music Awards. An amazing total of 415 awards in her lifetime. I tried to think of a science-fiction angle, but couldn't come up with anything. I'm kind of glad. Happy trails Whitney Houston. We will always love you.
Enjoy this week's links and I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. Also, do you have any favorite Whitney Houston memories?
In the Joel Schumacher film Batman Forever, Jim Carrey played the puzzling villain known as "The Riddler." Behind the scenes, how many question mark canes did Jim Carrey break?
(Trivia answer after the links)
- If you need another reason to see the Batman sequel The Dark Knight Returns, Blastr reports that the Superman Man of Steel trailer is going to premiere before the film.
- Blastr asks a good question: Are you getting tired of 'found footage' movies and TV shows? I am after Apollo 18, but I can't think of any "found footage" TV shows. Can you?
- All Things X has some X-Fashion by Kevin Wada & Max Wittert!
- Cinemafantastique reports ‘Space 1999′ is getting a Re-boot
- Space 1970 has a Behind-The-Scenes Pix #15: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK showing Luke Skywalker (Mark Hammill) hanging around waiting for the director.
- DailyWhat has a massive 53-foot tall Optimus Prime Snow Sculpture. Sort of. It looks more like a truck with a head.
- Blastr reports there are two TV shows and a movie based on Beauty and the Beast coming out. What's the deal? Isn't that a bit too much?
- Star Trek- SciFi has a retrospective of Data's Greatest Moments in Love. Remember when Data tried to program himself to be a boyfriend? If only it was that easy.
- /Film reports that Key Actors Not Returning For ‘Transformers 4′. I heard they were planning to reboot the whole series, so that ties into that.What's weird is Michael Bay is confirmed as director.
- M. Pax has a post about Spider Goats. They're not superheroes, but genetically engineered goats that shoot spider silk in their milk. Gotta read the whole post.
- I loved the video game Twisted Metal, so I'm geeked to hear from /Film that ‘Crank’ Co-Director Brian Taylor is Making a ‘Twisted Metal’ Video Game Adaptation. Can't wait to see that crazy ice cream truck blowing stuff up.
- /Film Receives a Package Containing Peter Parker’s Backpack and has a really nice breakdown of the stuff the studio put inside the Press Kit.What looks like a bunch of random junk has some pretty interesting clues in it.
- io9 reports a Man has heart attack while eating at The Heart Attack Grill. If you've never heard of it, it's a burger joint that sells incredibly unhealthy food. The waitresses dress like nurses and the burgers come in names like "Triple-Bypass." I so wanted to eat there before it moved from Phoenix to Las Vegas.
- The Sc-Fi Lounge has an informative write-up on the classic 1954 sci-fi big ant movie Them!
- Here's a video from the Retroist of a bizarre Swamp Thing Public Service Announcement.
- Super Punch has Anti-Super Mario propaganda posters from the Mushroom Kingdom Here's a sample, but hit the link to check out the rest.
- Here are some new book releases thanks to Alex
Defying Gravity by Cherie Reich
Persona by Amy Lunderman
- The Man-Cave reviews I Am Number Four (2011) stating out, "This is a film that ended up on many websites' worst films list of 2011, even as far as reaching the number one overall spot."
3. Trivia AnswerJim Carrey broke 250 canes. He went through hundreds of canes doing his Riddler shtick. Carrey would accidentally break them in two, snap them over his shoulder, and take chunks out of the ceiling with the question mark-shaped prop. He destroyed virtually every piece of furniture in his trailer.
What do you think of this week's news and links? Let me know in the comments!