There was a particulary strange batch of news this week, but for some reason Star Trek won out. Go figure. In the comments you can agree or disagree.
- The New Clash of the Titans trailer makes me want to run into the street bellowing "O Fortuna", while swinging a light saber. But, what made the original a classic? It wasn't a compelling story or Harry Hamlin with his shirt off, it was Ray Harryhausen's amazing stop-motion creatures. Without those, the film will be about as worthless as a Bill Cosby mask at a Twilight convention.
ODDSMAKERS: What are the odds that Liam Neesen will not furrow his brow and glower menacingly for the camera in his next movie? I say 32%.
- Finding out Wil Wheaton (aka Wesley Crusher) did the voice for most of the Romulans in Star Trek 2009 once again proves my theory: We will never see an ex-Star Trek actor doing anything other than dancing for nickels with a paper hat on for geeks.
TOSS-UP: Which would you rather be at a Star Trek convention: Brent Spiner or Walter Koenig? For me, Walter Koenig, because I never get tired of the words "alien wessel".
- That the producer of "Stargate: Universe" took time out of his busy schedule to rail on someone for writing a bad review shows he's cracking under the strain of bad reviews. Soon, he'll be galloping up to people on the street and pimp-slapping them for not liking Grandpa from "The Munsters".
- The guy who taught his son Klingon as his first language rivals Balloon Boy's dad as Worst-Father-of-the-Year. Klingon is a fascinating language, but to hold your newborn son and think, "I wonder if I can trick him into learning a fake language"? That’s creepy.
- TOSS-UP: Which sequel casting rumor is more likely to come true: Mayor Guyliner from "The Dark Knight" as Khan in "Star Trek 2" or Anne Hathaway as Black Cat in "Spider-Man 4"? I say Anne Hathaway is more likely, simply because I would personally beg J.J. Abrams on bended knee not to do a Wrath of Khan plot in the sequel.
BONUS ODDSMAKERS: Since neither film has a script, the odds that neither character will appear in their respective film. I'd say 90%.